Top Rank Boxing logo

Boxing: Valdez looks to silence the noise

Oscar Valdez has had a month that could throw a fighter off mentally.

Last month Valdez tested positive for the banned substance phentermine. The Pascua Yaqui Tribe Athletic Commission ruled that the fight could continue as scheduled while the WBC stated it would not strip Valdez of his title. “I feel blessed that I get the chance to step in the ring on September 10,” said Valdez. “I’m very grateful to Top Rank, the Pascua Yaqui {Tribal Gaming Commission} for letting this fight proceed, and I’ve just been very concentrated.”

Valdez (29-0-0) will have a chance to silence the critics when he faces Robson Conceicao (16-0-0). It’s easy to forget because what has happened over the last month but Valdez comes into this fight off a spectacular knockout of Miguel Berchelt.

Valdez and Conceicao have a little history. They squared off in the 2009 Pan American games where Conceicao came away with a one point victory. “(Our amateur bout) was a back-and-forth fight, but I lost,” said Valdez. “I always took my losses very seriously.”

Fighting Conceicao might be what the doctored ordered. It would be easy for Valdez to get caught up over everything that has happened over the last month but he won’t get a chance with such a tough opponent in front of him.

“I’m defending my title, and I’m going to do whatever it takes and whatever I got to defend my title and avenge my loss.”

twitter logo   twitter logo   twitter logo

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *