Grayson Allen just can’t help himself and now he will have to sit. Yes, Duke’s Allen tripped an opposing player for the third time in the last two seasons. Coach K didn’t have a choice but to suspend him and, if he didn’t, reasonable minds thought the ACC Conference would.
- Villanova (12-0) – The Wildcats pounded American as they head into the conference season. They open up with DePaul and then they will travel to face a tough Creighton (currently ranked 10th) team.
- UCLA (13-0) – The Bruins start the conference season on the road at Oregon and at Oregon State. The 21st ranked Ducks should provide UCLA with a stern test to start their conference season.
- Duke (12-1) – Duke’s schedule eased them into the conference season. Wins over UNLV, Tennessee State, and Elon were expected. What wasn’t expected was Grayson Allen’s trouble with tripping opposing players which has led to an indefinite suspension. Don’t expect the suspension to be long and Duke has very winnable games to kick off the conference slate.
- Baylor (12-0) – The Bears have quality wins over VCU and Louisville but it’s still hard to get a handle on how good this team is or isn’t. Starting out the conference season at Oklahoma should give an indication of where the Bears are.
- Kansas (11-1) – It’s hard not to get the feeling that the Jayhawks needed the conference season to come more than any other team. They have been on cruise control the last few weeks as the season became extremely manageable. We will see if KU flips the switch as they travel to TCU.
Marcus “Mook” Washington is the host of Making The Cut. Follow Mook on Twitter: @mtcwithmook and IG: MTCWithMook